Thursday, June 26, 2008

Just Like America!

On the way to work today, I heard an advertisement that made me laugh. It went something like this.

Person A: You ready to go to the club tonight?
Person B: Naw, I think I am going to stay in
A: What?!? You were all hyped up about going just yesterday, what happened?
B: Well if you must know, my clothes are kind of funky. I got nothing to wear.
A: (Laughs) Well that’s no problem, just get them washed.
B: What are you talking about, where am I going to get my clothes washed in time for tonight, its already mid afternoon.
A: Haven’t you heard about Nigeria Wash (made up the name). It’s brand new, you can wash clothes right there. Just like in America!

Announcer: That’s right folks, you heard it right, come see Lagos’ first American style Laundromat. You can bring your clothes, and actually wash them yourselves while you wait! No more hand washing, or waiting for days, come to Nigeria Wash and experience the brand new laundry experience. We have 12 state of the art washers and 15 dryers that will have you in and out in no time. Just like in America!

That had me cracking up, first because I did not consciously realize that Laundromats were a luxury service, and secondly because he used America as if the mention of the name were enough to get people in the store. Maybe it is.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home