Monday, July 14, 2008

Sympathy

These posts about legless bums and life being random are painting me in a bad light. People aren’t getting to see my puppy dog side. Really I am a giant soft belly. I cry in movies, I give to those in need, I want to save the world, I go gooey for kids and puppies. Is that enough to convince you? I really just think I am the ultimate optimist at times. I can’t feel sorry for someone if I think they still have a pretty good life. It just so happens that I think everyone has a pretty good life.

I had a very meaningful dream once, brought on by a book, and in the dream I was confined to a tree. I was stuck in the trunk of the tree, and the only movement that I had was being able to look up through the trunk of the tree and see the sky. Somehow I was able to stay alive, but I was miserable. I was in pain, I could not move, I was alone. But then I calmed down and looked to the sky, and a bird flew by. That bird eased my pain and fear, because it let me realize I was not alone. From that point on, I would look to the sky. Sometimes I would see a shooting star, other times clouds, birds, insects, etc. And soon enough, I was at peace. Not happy being stuck in the tree but at peace. That’s when I woke up.

That dream captured a belief that had not previously solidified. We can overcome the greatest of obstacles if our minds are in the right place. Learning to appreciate the smallest of things can get you through the biggest of trials.

For the record: If I ever get stuck in a tree… someone shoot me, that would really suck.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home