Saturday, October 18, 2008

Doha Doldrums

The reality of moving is setting in. Gone is the phase of intrigue, novelty, and anticipation, what has taken its place is the reality that comes when the hoped for finally arrives. Up to recently, there was always the chance that this move would not happen, but now the rubber has hit the pavement.

I was sitting up this past morning realizing with what I would ‘dread’ the simple realities of my situation. I am moving far away AGAIN, this time really far away, and that move is going to bring along at least three months of loneliness, insecurity, home-sicknesss, etc. etc. Although I believe I will come out better for it, I am not looking forward to it. Luckily I have some friends out here, but in the big picture, I am pretty much out here alone. No family, no feeling of home, no cultural safe ground… all that is going to be tough to get through. But this is what I signed up for.

Emails from friends and family have just made me realize how much I will miss all of you all, and that being without the relative easy access to you will be difficult. Don’t feel too bad for me, I am just getting what I asked for.

Which reminds me, I am not here on vacation, I am here on a mission. These are the things that I want to do while I am here:

-Become a better writer, through consistent practice of course.
-Become more knowledgeable of other cultures, through travel and friendships with people other than ‘westerners’ and ExxonMobil employees.
-Increase my understanding of the issues controlling the world: economies, resources, wars, history, culture. Will do this through more non-fiction reading.
-Attempt to learn Arabic.
-Make all efforts to “taste the rainbow”.
-Exercise my body as well as my mind (swimming, yoga, weights, soccer)

Most people in my situation are here for the money, and yes I do appreciate the money, but that is way down on my priority lists. I must also not fall into the pitfall of trying to work to hard at my day job (not much chance of this).

This whole assignment is about growth and preparing myself for my destiny (whatever that may be). Wish me luck people.

1 Comments:

Blogger CJ Nichol said...

Good luck! I support it all as long as the rainbow you're tasting is a bag of skittles.

Love you and miss you.

Nichole

PS I made my own blog...still customizing it though. it's on www.all-things-unspoken.blogspot.com

9:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home