Sunday, December 07, 2008

Weekend Update

Another day another dollar. Back at work and not quite sure why. Christmas season is approaching and this is a holy holiday week on the Muslim calendar (Eid El Adha: The celebration after the Mecca journey I think) so it is like me and two other guys in the office. I thought I was unproductive at times before, well this is twice as bad.

More time to write I guess. This weekend was another good one. I went to a Chingy concert which was, as you would expect, pretty terrible. I did have a good time, but I recognize that the only reason I would ever pay to see Chingy is if I am stuck in a place where a hip-hop concert comes along once in blue moon. It WAS advertised in the monthly Qatar Happenings magazine that Sean Paul was coming to town, so I was getting super excited about that. So I called the number the magazine listed in order to get more details, and the guy who picked up told me that he was throwing a Sean Paul party, but that Sean Paul was not going to be there. He went on to explain that he was bringing Sean Paul’s DJ to town, not Sean Paul himself. After asking why it was advertised in the magazine (and this is the official “whats going on in Qatar this month” magazine) as a Sean Paul performance, he claimed that they made that up on their own without consulting with him. Just because its in writing, does not mean its true. So Chingy was the winner by default. While I was not that excited for Chingy, they did have a pretty good DJ at the party, and some of the supporting acts were entertaining. Plus the whole event took place outside on a beach, so that was cool. Not so cool for the people not out partying, evidently the concert was so loud that it kept up everyone with a house close to the water.

The rest of the weekend was pretty relaxing. I was treated to dinner by a nice lady, and celebrated the closing of one of the favorite bars in Doha, Rydges. The hotel that the bar is in is being destroyed, despite being only five years old. The reason? From the top of the hotel, you can see into the Emir’s palace compound. So it’s both an invasion of his privacy and a security threat. Now the palace is not new, so I am not entirely sure why they did not think about this before letting the owners build the hotel. Well lets hope the owners were compensated for this loss of property.

Well I am out of here, since I just got an email saying we can leave at noon today. Don’t have to tell me twice. I will be heading to Muscat, Oman for the next three days, so I am looking forward to that. Will post pics on the Facebook when I return. Later.

Almost forgot, I am now the proud owner of a new car! My 2008 Jeep Wrangler (4-door) is in my possession and I am ready to tackle the desert.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home