Wednesday, January 09, 2008

Inside and Out

I recently came to an interesting conclusion about my desire to be liked. I am my own life’s greatest work, and like an artist who has formed something with love and hard work, he expects his exhibit to be appreciated. The piece is still whole without the audience, but it does not make the impact on people’s lives that it could if they could envision the artist’s message.

I work hard at making myself into a human being. A more truthful statement, I try to make myself into the model human being. That has been the motivation for my addiction to discipline, patience, and understanding, because I wish to make myself into a person that can be a light to the world.

Perhaps this effort is rooted in my Christian upbringing of living a life that can inspire others to aspire for more. My purpose and my gifts revolve around influencing people, and I have been trying hard to influence in a positive light.

This whole thought process emerged from the seeming contradiction of both loving ones self and truly wanting others to like you. I knew that I felt both strongly, but figured it was an almost bipolar relationship instead of two layers of one plane.

When my personality rubs others wrong, or when I feel at odds with others and their actions, I feel like the artist who is getting mixed review on his life work.

I really do wish that this was more a trait of humanity, the desire to better one’s self. People will say, ‘I am just being me’, and continue to act the same way. But it only takes a small experiment of smiling more to realize that people can improve who they are by consciously moving themselves down a path of better existence. Being content with mediocrity is a curse on the masses, why can’t we all work together to change for the better.

If you see something about yourself that is not the best that it can be, make every effort to defeat that trait, do not give into the urge to ‘accept’ that part of you. It took years to develop most bad habits, it usually takes that much more hard work to break it.

Let’s all create our own masterpieces.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home