Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Thoughts Worth Sharing

Thought One:
After sending out a note to some friends for dinner, I get a response from one guy saying something like “I will try and make it, but don’t hold me to it because you know I am flaky”.

This caused me to realize that self-deprecation or being open with your flaws is usually a win-win. If he does not show up, I can’t be too mad at him because he told me he might not. Its not really nice to be mad at him for being flaky either, because, well, we all have our flaws. So in essence he has exonerated himself of responsibility on the issue. He can gain points by showing up, and that ‘flaky excuse’ prevents him from losing any if he does not show. Smart play.

The one catch to this. The personal flaw card only works if people feel you are working to fix what is accepted as a flaw. Otherwise you just come off as a flaky guy who is also a loser for not trying to be less flaky.


Thought Two:
So I was on the toilet the other day, cleaning myself up, when it occurred to me that I have never used the bidet that sits next to my toilet. I quickly dismissed the idea but was reminded of a conversation that exposed the nonsense in my objections to the bidet. In the US I was telling a friend how I thought bidets were nasty and weird and how I did not want my butt getting sprayed with water. After my rant, he agreed that he was not particularly inclined to use them either, but he ruined his collaboration with the following observation. If you get mud on your arm and you try and wipe it off with paper, you end up smearing it all around and making a mess. Now if you wet your arm and a cloth and THEN wipe that same spot, you end up cleaning the mud off with no mess or smearage.

Now when ever I use my trusty old toilet paper I think of wiping mud off my arm. That bastard.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's the nastiest thing you've wrote so far...next you should talk about how woman poo when they're giving birth...NJ

8:06 PM  
Blogger oogie said...

I like light Anthony posts. Still, as a self-diagnozed flake, I can assure you we would be less flaky if not for the fact that our flakiness-the original problem-makes us flake out on the path towards deflaking. Sorry. Can I still be your friend?

2:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home