Sunday, December 14, 2008

First Vacation

Sorry folks for not updating my blog as often as I should, but I will try and fix that in the New Year. As a matter of fact, you fellow bloggers are being awfully silent these days as well, what’s your excuse? Maybe we can all stand to push out a little more content.

I have been sick lately. The cold that has been going around Qatar with the change in weather landed in my lap, and I decided it could stay for a while. I think it is going through its death throes though, because my nose is leaking like a faucet (and sneezing makes it more like a water gun). My logic says a runny nose means the germs are leaving your body. Other than that, I went on a boring vacation to Oman. The place was beautiful and has potential, we just did not maximize it. Oman is best experienced when the weather is warm and you can head into the desert and mountains, and live off the land for a few days. It has amazing geology, mountains, gorges, underground caves and springs, all of which could keep a group occupied for many days. If your not the adventurous type, try checking into the Shan-gri La Hotel and Resort and enjoy your own private cove. The resort has services from scuba diving to dolphin watching to private tennis lessons. With the right group or with a special someone, it could make for a wonderful vacation. How not to spend a vacation in Muscat is as follows:

- Do NOT allow three days to tour a city that takes at most one day to see.
- Do NOT only stay in that one city when you can explore the surrounding area fairly easily.
- Do NOT visit a Muslim country during Eid. It is like their Christmas, so shops, museums, restaurants are all going to be closed.
- Do NOT go with your friend and his parents, because although they are wonderful people, parents and kids are usually just into different things,

Now don’t get me wrong, I am glad I went on the trip. After all, I was able to get out of Doha, meet some new people, and learned some things about a new culture. But that does not change the fact that the trip was boring and that it could have been done better. It was the place though that sunk the trip, not the people.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home