Tuesday, October 21, 2008

What's the Result?

Today I took an HIV test. Not because I wanted to make sure I was STD free, but because the country of Qatar made me. In order to move here, I have to get a chest X-ray to prove I have somewhat healthy, get my blood group recorded, and get an HIV/AIDS test to make sure I don’t contaminate this country with the heretic’s virus.

Aside from thinking that it is kind of a smart thing to do, and realizing that it never hurts to get tested, it crossed my mind that it would really suck to fail this test. I mean it would suck failing a HIV/AIDS test anywhere at anytime, and I am 99.9% sure I will pass (knock on latex), but failing here, now, would be super-terrible. Because not only would I have HIV, everyone would find out (because that would be the only logical reason I would be denied a resident permit), and I would have to leave the country and probably lose my job. That’s like a triple whammy.

Not sure if there is a lesson or point to this… oh yea, here’s one, stay abstinent. Now I remember. Assuming I do get to stay in this country, I figure the only thing to worry about while screwing around here is getting someone pregnant (and herpes, Chlamydia, gonorrhea, etc.), which is at least 100 times less bad than getting the virus. I’m screwing everything in sight (joke).

*Actually, I looked up HIV/AIDS statistics in Qatar, and evidently there are 78 people with the virus in this country (as of 2007). Don’t know where they got that number from, but evidently its not all fun in the sun here in Doha.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home